- "You see, strange things have been happening since you two left. Like fake Genbus ambushing random people, and crows surrounding houses!"
- —Tasuki (Eikoden)
Konan (紅南国; Kounan Koku) is one of the four countries in The Universe of the Four Gods.
Konan, the southern country protected by the Phoenix, is a very prosperous country at the time of the series. It has generally happy and lively people. The similarities to the Phoenix are actually brought about by the Emperor Hotohori and his character; he is deeply respected and cares a lot about his country and the royalty he lives in is just immense. He is also the image of perfectionism for his subjects to look up to. Also, just like a plume's colors, Konan has everything from royalty to poverty to slave-traders and mountain gangs.
- Souun: The Eastern Capital of Konan that is situated between the Mt. Reikaku and Mt. Kaou gangs governed by Ougi, Hotohori's half-brother.
- Eiyou: The actual capital of Konan where the palace is situated. Nuriko is also from this city and his parents run a successful fabric store in the textile quarter.
- Jouzen: Chiriko's home city in the southern region of Konan.
- Souen: A town near the hillside where Mitsukake and Shoka were buried. Not to be confused with Souun, as Souen is in the northern region of Konan.
- Chokou: The infamous city of the living dead, where the possessed Shoka plied her demon-induced trade. Mitsukake had worked as a doctor in this city.
- Seirin: Former home of Shu Tendo and You Houki. In OVA 3: Eikoden, this is also where Hotohori and Nuriko's reincarnations meet each other. The village is located at the Jusoh Prefecture.
- Kahou: A town of inns and pubs near Souun. It's a popular stop for travelers in Konan. In OVA 2, the warriors, Miaka, and Taka spend the night here while looking for the Jewels of Memory and Tasuki, under Tenkou's control, took Miaka to a nearby inn where he and Taka fight. Four years prior, the Mt. Reikaku bandits raided this town.
- Yukigase: A village on the mountain called "Goddess Peak" near the Hokkan Boarder. It was previously plagued with the legend of a vengeful demon and the main location of Yukiyasha Den. It was home to Nuriko's uncle, Sojun, and other friends from the novel.
- Hakuko: A farming village located in the Jusoh Prefecture. Villagers sold primarily yams and soybeans to neighboring cities. It was featured in both the original series and Shugyoku Den. Tamahome, his family, Fuka, and Yuma all lived in this village.
Unlike Hokkan and Sairou, and similar to Kutou, Konan rather has a tropical climate as it is a very green country. The only known seasons are spring and summer, and there is no winter; instead, there are stormy and rainy seasons all throughout the year. Compared to Hokkan, Konan is hot; and compared to Sairou it is very cold.
- "Wow..it really is different from Hokkan! As expected from a foreign country."
- —The warriors, arriving in Konan
- Yuu Watase revealed in one of her free talks that she based the cultural climate of Konan on the Song Dynasty.
|"Konan-Koku" from Eikoden Original Soundtrack|
|Trouble with the audio sample?|